THE City of McLeansboro
Our Professional Men
Marshall E. Daniel, the present editor and proprietor of the McLeansboro Times was born in Wayne County, Ill., and came with this parents to McLeansboro in 1867, where he attended the public schools and at a very early age he stated in to learn the "Art Preservative" under the tutelage of Col. Campbell and with whom he remained for eight years, when an opportunity presenting itself, he purchased the Gallatin Democrat of Shawneetown and published it successfully until December 1898, at which time he closed a deal with his former employer, bought out the Times and moved back to McLeansboro, where he has since resided.
In May 1892 he married Miss Lizzie Harrison of Russellville, Ky., and they have three children.
He is a member of the K. of P., I. O. O. F., M. W. A., Court of Honor, F. M. C. and a strong exponent of true democratic principles.
| Edwin Brink, the artist behind
the camera is a valued adjunct to the publisher of special illustrated
work, for to him in a great measure the excellence of the engravings
depend. He must have an eye for color, for shade and effect, and
only with these endowments, combined with first-class instruments, the
great essential for good, sharp negative which bring out the lines of
the objects distinctly, can satisfactory results be obtained.
We were not long in discovering that all these essentials were to be found in the brain and in the studio of Mr. Brink, whose gallery is situated on the northwest corner of the square, and to whom we are under many obligations for faithful and conscientious work which has been devoted to the production of the man beautiful pictures which adorn this issue.
Mr. Brink came to McLeansboro several years ago, and at once proved himself master of the situation by producing first-class work at satisfactory prices, therefore he has made hosts of friends and customers, who testify to the quality of his work--and to his attributes of a gentlemen, being ever willing to please at almost any sacrifice of time or trouble. This has had the effect to greatly extend his business, and today specimens of Mr. Brink's work can be seen in almost any home in the county.
Mr. Brink makes a specialty of medallion work, which has become such a fad among the young people, and he has also preserved the negatives taken for this edition and will make prints from them at reasonable prices.
A. C. BARNETT
Aquilla C. Barnett, attorney at law, was born in Hamilton county, Ill., August 23, 1865. He was reared on his father's farm near McLeansboro, Ill., and received his education at the country district public schools, attending during the winter months. At the age of 18 he attended Ewing college for about two years, receiving a thorough practical education and engaged in teaching school for several terms, and was one of the best teachers and school disciplinarians in the county.
At the age of 21 he was elected to the office of county surveyor of Hamilton county, which office was vacant by resignation of H. H. Carpenter, and served in that office for two years.
He was engaged in the mercantile business for several years, but this he did not like. In early life he had determined to make the legal profession his life work, and began reading law at an early age while engaged in other pursuits of life, and was qualified and able to pass the examination several years before he was examined by the supreme court for license in 1892.
After he was admitted, he was engaged for nearly three years as a commercial traveler.
In 1894 he came back to his home in McLeansboro and commenced the work of his profession, and has been actively engaged in his work ever since.
He is a diligent and untiring worker in everything he undertakes. Since he has begun his practice he has been engaged in most of the important cases of the courts of Hamilton county as counsel.
He makes a specialty of real estate loans, chancery and civil practice. He has negotiated some of the largest loans ever made in this section of the state. His ability as an examiner of land titles and preparing abstracts of titles, and his opinion on the same, are unquestioned. He has associated with him Mr. James C. Howard, attorney at law of Olney, Ill., and the firm name is Howard, Yost & Barnett, having offices both at Olney, Ill., and McLeansboro, Ill.
Mr. Howard is an able lawyer and a hard and untiring worker, and his ability is recognized all over this section of the state.
GEORGE W. HOGAN
Mr. Hogan was born in Flannagan township, Hamilton county, Ill., April 9, 1858. His boyhood was spent on the farm of his father, Captain john H. Hogan. In early life he knew nothing but hard, earnest toil, which gave him a robust constitution. He attended the common schools and by untiring studiousness he qualified himself to teach. After teaching one term he attended Hamilton college, then teaching another term, he attended Ewing college. He taught four terms, during which he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1880. Coming to McLeansboro with no capital but a firm determination to succeed and an unlimited amount of energy and industry, he formed a partnership with John C. Hall, where, by strict attention to business in all of its details, he soon made himself felt.
This partnership continued until 1895, since which time Mr. Hogan has conducted his business alone. Mr. Hogan has never sought office, but the people elected him mayor of our city. His administration was said to be one of the most economical that was ever given our people. He is in politics a republican and is always found among those who devote time and money to further its interest.
On the 4th day of September, 1888, he was united in marriage to Miss Pearl T. Thompson, a daughter of Richard Thompson, of Thompsonville, Ill. Lila T. and George W. Hogan, Jr., two right children, grace the Hogan home. Mr. Hogan's success has been most marked and goes to show what industry, economy and strict attention to business will do.
THE WISEMAN BLOCK
The two story brick building shown below is situated on the north side of the Public Square, in the center of the block. The east room is 110 feet long by 20 feet wide, 12 foot ceiling, well furnished, occupied as salesroom of pianos, organs and other musical instruments. The wet room is 80 feet long by 20 feet wide, 12 foot ceiling, occupied as jewelry store. The Knights of Pythias and Modern Woodmen occupy the east upper one-half of the building. This building is for sale or exchange. For further particulars address:
C. M. Wiseman
Back to Hamilton County, IL Back to 1900 Index Back to County Histories
Copyright © 2001. All rights Reserved