From: 1919 History of Henry Co., MO; Uel W. Lamkin; p. 876 (USGENWEB)
James Baker.. Residing on his eighty-acre farm east of Leesville, almost in the heart of the timbered country which lies adjacent to the village, is James Baker, for years the "Blacksmith of Leesville." Mr. Baker is a native of Missouri and was born in Monroe County, August 31, 1844, the son of William and Ruth (Standiford) Baker, natives of Kentucky and Missouri, respectively. William Baker was a cabinet maker by trade, whose parents were pioneers of Monroe County. He settled at White Sulphur Springs, St. Clair County, Missouri, in 1845, and in 1861 came to Leesville, where he plied his trade of skilled cabinet maker until after the Civil War, when he located on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until his death. He was the father of four children: W. P., Mary, and Francis, deceased; James, subject of this sketch, is the only survivor of the family. The mother of these children departed this life in 1849. After her death, some time later, William Baker married Elizabeth Goff, and to this marriage were born children as follow: Louisa, deceased; John M., Garden City, Missouri; Thomas, Henry and George, deceased; Mrs. Sarah Carlton, Colorado; Mrs. Nora Acock, Benton County, Missouri. On August 26, 19864, James Baker enlisted in Company A, 45th Missouri Infantry, and served for six months in Missouri. In 1873 Mr. Baker was married to Miss Margaret A. Hay, born in 1854, in Osage County, Missouri, the daughter of Benjamin and Jane Hay, who removed to Iowa in 1854 and resided in that territory until 1858, when they returned to Missouri, but later went again to Iowa in 1866. Mr. and Mrs. Baker are parents of three children: Mrs. Attelia Province, living near Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri: Lincoln, operates the Baker blacksmith and wagon shop in Leesville; George is at home with his parents. Mrs. Province has borne children as follow: Jacob died at the age of fourteen years; Florence and Elva, who died at the age of six years. Lincoln Baker has three children living. One died in infancy. The others are: Frieda, Norene and Olive. James Baker established a blacksmith shop and wagon shop in Leesville in 1865, which has become one of the old landmarks in eastern Henry County. He plied his trade for a period of thirty-five years and then retired to his farm, turning over the management of the shop to his son. He is living serenely content and well taken care of by his faithful and competent wife, who is one of the most intelligent and capable women in the county, as well as being a splendid cook and housekeeper. He is Republican and he and Mrs. Baker are members of the Christian church. He is a member of Dan McCook Post, Grand Army of the Republic. The Baker home is a pleasant one and hospitality is the keynote of the home life of the Bakers.
From: Tebo Church Cemetery, Leesville Township, Henry County, Missouri:
Baker, James, b. August 31, 1844 Monroe Co., MO; d. 1926; son of William and Ruther Standiford Baker; mil: Co. A 45th MO Inf Civil War; m. 1873 to Margaret A. Hay: ch: Attelia, Lincoln, George; INSCRIP: BAKER, James 1844-1926; Margaret 1854-1927.
Back to Main Menu
Back to Biography Selection