Patrick J. Sandefur
From Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Southern Arkansas; Pub. Goodspeed Pub. Co.; 1890
P. J. Sandefur. Of the many prominent and worthy citizens of Little River County, none are deserving of mention than Mr. Sandefur who has for so long a time been so closely connected with its material interests. His both occurred in Alabama, in 1830, being one of nine children four of whom are still living, born to the marriage of Patrick H. and Sarah (Dickenson) Sandefur, both of whom owned their nativity to Alabama. The father was of Scotch-English descent. In 1835 they immigrated to what is now Little River County, Arkansas being among the first settlers, and here the father purchased unimproved land, which he set about converting into a good farm. He (Patrick) made his home here until his death which occurred in 1859 in Washington, Hempstead County, whither he had gone for his daughters, who were attending school, and were threatened with the small-pox.
P. J. Sandefur has been a resident of this county ever since his fifth year, and was educated in the common schools. Being reared on a farm, he was early initiated in farm duties, and it was but natural perhaps that in choosing an occupation in life, he should select farming, which calling has since occupied his attention.
His marriage to Miss. M.(Mary) J. Mallow was consummated in 1852. She was born in Hempstead County, Arkansas in 1829, and was a daughter of Michael and Lotta (Gertner) Mallow, both of whom were born in Virginia. They were among the first settlers of Hempstead County, Arkansas, and their death occurred in Collin County, Texas, whither they had moved in 1855.
Mr. and Mrs. Sandefur were the parents of ten children--seven sons and three daughters--nine of whom survive: Benjamin P., Patrick, Henry, Sallie (wife of S. W. McKneely), Leon, Maria (wife of R. S. Chayton), Willie, Dadie (wife of H. C. Head), and Lillie. Mrs. Sandefur had previously been married to a Mr. McClary, by whom she had two children, only one of whom, Jesse McClary, is now living.
Mr. Sandefur is one of the representative farmers of Franklin Township, and his honorable and upright bearing have won for him a host of friends. His farm, on which he now lives, is located about twelve miles east of Richmond, and comprises 360 acres of good land, with about 120 acres under cultivation. He has finely improved and always raises a good crop, and on this farm is an orchard, which is conceded to be one of finest in the county. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church numbers Mr. and Mrs. Sandefur among its most respected members.
*p. 381: The office of sheriff was held by J. B. Sandefer for a period of twelve years.
Click here for more information regarding Patrick in his son's Benjamin Sandefur's biography.
Back to Main Menu
Back to Biography Selection