History of Hamilton County, Illinois
Pub. 1887 – Goodspeed; p. 301
July 4, 1876, was celebrated in a befitting manner at
McLeansboro. The morning was
ushered in by the firing of 100 guns, which was heard all over the county.
By 9 o’clock the citizens were crowding into town.
About the same time the Enfield Cornet Band arrived and was the
admiration of the crowd. The
Flannigan Precinct delegation came in 600 strong, in a driving storm of
rain. After a time, however,
the rain ceased to fall, and Col. H. W. Hall, Capt. L. W. Cremeens, and
Lieuts. A. A. Lasater and John Coker rallied the soldiers in the public
square. In the procession the
soldiers of the Mexican war and the war of the Rebellion followed in the
rear of the soldiers of the Black Hawk war and of the pioneer settlers,
and marched to the fair grounds. About
6,000 people were present. Prayer
was offered by Elder Calvin Allen; the Declaration of Independence was
read by C. G. Cloud; poems were read by Mrs. Fannie M. Parker and Mrs.
Emma J. Deitz; the oration of the day was delivered by Leonida Walker; and
outlines of the history of Hamilton County, were read by Judge T. B.
Stelle. The marshal of the
day was Elzathan M. Bowers, and the president was Hon. Robertson S.