Back to Hamilton County
Back to History Contents
History of Belle Rive and Dahlgren, Illinois And Surrounding Territory
Prepared by Continental Historical Bureau of Mt. Vernon,
Church of the Nazarene
The Church of the Nazarene, Dahlgren, had its beginning in a small group of local people who were interested in the propagation of the doctrine of scriptural holiness. They met and worshipped together in rented buildings until lots were purchased and the present building completed.
The church was organized then, on December 3, 1944, under the direction of Dr. R. V. Starr, District Superintendent of the Illinois District, who gave a brief history of the Church of the Nazarene. The following persons were charter members: R. W. Linder (pastor), Lee Glenn (secretary), Carrie Glenn, Ray Glenn, Mary Glenn, Leon Glenn, Goldie McMicken, Sidney Johnson, Clara Johnson, Mary Woodruff, Noma Ratliff, Ollie Waugh, Sarah Deevers, and William Musgraves.
The names of the pastors who have presided over the years are: Rev. R. W. Linder, Rev. W. E. Campbell, Rev. James Leonard, and Rev. Roy Shifley.
This church began meeting in the home of Mrs. M. R. Wynn and her daughter, Rachel, in 1904 or 1905 for the study of the Bible and partaking of the Lord's Supper every Sunday. There were three families interest in the work.
In February, 1906, the church sponsored an evangelistic meeting in the Town Hall with L. D. Hill preaching. During the meeting several converts were baptized in the old mill pond where it was necessary to cut the ice which was about one foot thick.
At the close of the meeting, a Christian Church was organized. The church met regularly in the Town Hall for about four years with preaching services one Sunday a month. L. D. Hill was the first regular preacher.
A church house was built where the present one stands and dedicated July 24, 1910, with J. Fred Jones doing the preaching.
During the years many preachers proclaimed the Word of God for the church. They include: Isaac Kello, Bart Kello, J. E. Stout, J. J. Hudson, C. M. Smithson, I G. Williams, Halleck Rowe, J. R. Debout, R. Leland Brown, W. S. Farlow and others. W. S. Farlow preached for twenty-five years.
September 13, 1930, the church building was demolished by a tornado, a great calamity to the church which was few in number but with the insurance money and the careful supervision of Jasper C. Goin, Sr., the present building was rushed to completion in February, 1931. While it was being erected, the church met in a dwelling rented for the purpose of holding services.
In 1942, the members decided to use the name "Church of Christ", and it is known by that name now.
Hannah H. Goin
Back to Hamilton CountyBack to History Contents