(Men & Women)

More current obituaries found here!


Carroll Gene Charles A. C. Harold Edith, Timothy & Miranda
Frank B. H. R. James L. J. Milton

John Wesley

Marjorie (Ayers) Priscilla McKnight Sarah Casey
Vera Marie (Bassett) Violet B. William R.  

Vera Marie Bassett
*Contributed by Deborah Hollowbush

Unknown Newspaper.

VERA MARIE BASSETT, 76, of Amarillo, died Monday, March 15, 1999. Services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday in Schooler-Gordon Funeral Directors, Bell Avenue Chapel, 5400 Bell Street, with the Rev. Alan Ford, pastor of Southwest Baptist Church, officiating. Graveside services will be at 11 a.m. Thursday in Waco Memorial Park in Waco. Mrs. Bassett was born in Newlin. She graduated from Quachita Baptist University with a major in elementary education and then taught second grade at Glenwood, Oakdale and Bible Heritage Christian schools. She also taught at schools in Waco until her retirement. Mrs. Bassett wrote several books, including "Wendy the School Turtle" which was co-authored by Jan Walters. An amateur photographer, she had several photos appear in local papers. After her husband's death, she returned to Amarillo and came out of retirement to teach at Bible Heritage Christian School. A member of Southwest Baptist Church, Mrs. Bassett participated in mission projects in Mexico and Indonesia. She was preceded in death by her husband of 36 years, Leonard R. Bassett, in 1982. Survivors include four daughters, Mitzie Pyle of Marble Falls, Gaynell Weaver of Phoenix, Renee Tankersly of
Pearcy, Arkansas, and Rosalinda Tovar of Waco; a son, Randy Bassett of Tucson; a brother, A.J. Standiford of Fort Smith, Arkansas; two sisters, Emma Lee Beckner of Amarillo and Lillian Rynders of Hot Springs, Arkansas; and numerous grandchildren. The family suggests in lieu of flowers memorials be to Bible Heritage Christian School.

Back to Top

From: The Courier-Journal Louisville, KY ; Publication Date: August 12, 1990; p.11B

 Obituary: BORDEN -- Bert E. Hurst, 88, of 21408 Souders Hollow Road, died Friday at Washington County Memorial Hospital in Salem. He was a native of Washington County, a retired farmer and barber and a former employee of Indiana Army Ammunition Plant in Charlestown and the old Borden Cabinet Co. Survivors: his wife, the former Violet B. Standiford; a daughter, Mary L. Reed of Pekin; a son, Robert V. Hurst; a brother, Ernest Hurst; two sisters, Lula Colglazier of Peru and Cletis Cox of Pekin; four grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren. Funeral: 11 a.m. Monday, Borden Church of Christ, with burial in Olive Branch Cemetery near Pekin. Visitation at Hughes-Taylor Borden Funeral Home from 4 to 9 p.m. Sunday, and at the church after 10 a.m. Monday.

Back to Top

From: The Courier-Journal Louisville, KY; pub. Nov. 16, 1992, p. 04B

Obituary: Carroll Gene Standiford, 65, Harned, formerly of Valley Station, died Saturday at Baptist Hospital East. He was a native of English, Ind., a retired supervisor for Philip Morris USA and a Navy veteran of World War II. Survivors: his wife, the former Virginia Brown; four sons, Louis, Larry, Jerry and Terry Standiford; a daughter, Carolyn Hardin of Smiths Grove; his mother, Alma Potter of Franklin; a brother, Louis Potter of Franklin; and five grandchildren. Funeral: 10 a.m. Wednesday, St. Clement Catholic Church, 5431 Johnsontown Road. Burial: Resthaven Memorial Park. Visitation: W.G. Hardy Valley Funeral Home, 10907 Dixie Highway, 3-9 p.m. Monday and 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday.

Back to Top

From:  The Courier-Journal Louisville, KY; pub. May 2, 1993; p. 01B

Obituary: Members of three generations of one Borden, Ind., family were killed yesterday when an allegedly drunken driver on his way home from Churchill Downs crossed over the center line on Ind. 60 in western Clark County and hit the family's oncoming car. Timothy Standiford, 32; his 3-year-old daughter, Miranda; and his mother, Edith Standiford, 73, were killed. Timothy and Edith Standiford died at the scene. The child was flown by helicopter to Kosair Children's Hospital where she died an hour later

From: The Courier-Journal Louisville, KY; pub. May 3, 1993, p. 06B

Obituary: Two-year-old Katie Shaw asked for her friend Miranda yesterday morning at church. The adults at Charlestown Road Baptist Church in New Albany, Ind., also were trying to understand the absence of 3-year-old Miranda Standiford; her father, Timothy Standiford, 32; and her grandmother, Edith Standiford, 73 -- all killed Saturday afternoon when an allegedly drunken driver ran into their car head-on. "At work they called Tim `Brother Love,' " because he cared so much about his co-workers at the Koetter Woodworking Co. in Floyds Knobs, Ind., where he was an inspector, said Annette Shaw, a family friend. Her husband, David Shaw, recalled that Timothy Standiford, a native of Salem, Ind., had greeted them when they first attended the church in New Albany five years ago. "He always went out of his way to greet and welcome people," David Shaw said.  Annette Shaw recalled how Timothy took a day off work to help when her daughter Katie was born. The three Standifords left their homes Saturday afternoon about 5 to return a rented movie, Annette Shaw said. Rita Standiford, Timothy's wife, remained in the mobile home where the couple lived -- near Edith's house on Main Street in Borden -- to prepare for her Sunday school class. Miranda went along on the trip, as she often did when her father ran errands. The collision happened about 20 minutes later, on Ind. 60. Rickey Johnson, 31, of St. Louis, was trying to find Interstate 64 to return home after spending much of the afternoon at Churchill Downs on Derby Day, said Lt. Terry Hubler of the Clark County Sheriff's Department. Johnson's blood-alcohol level exceeded the legal limit, Hubler said, but he declined to disclose specifics. Hubler said he didn't know how fast the cars were going when they collided. The speed limit at the wreck site is 55 mph. The accident is being reconstructed by specialists, he said. Johnson's 1993 Cadillac crossed the center line as he headed northwest, running into Standiford's 1988 Plymouth Horizon. While seat belts and a child seat didn't save the Standifords, the air bags in the Cadillac helped protect its driver and prevented major injury to his passenger, Hubler said.  Johnson is charged with three counts of drunken driving that caused a death. He is hospitalized, under guard, with a broken leg, Hubler said. Johnson's passenger, Lawrence T. Crawford, 39, also of St. Louis, was charged with public intoxication. He was released from jail yesterday on bail. Bruce Standiford said his cousin Timothy's life revolved around his family and the church. Timothy Standiford was a deacon and director of the Sunday school at his church. He was among the founding members of the congregation. Standiford had planned to complete a correspondence course from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University in Virginia this summer and had hoped to work in an administrative capacity for the church, said Wayne Gullion, its pastor. Edith Standiford had retired from Kimball Office Furniture Co. more than a decade ago. "She loved caring for children," Annette Shaw said, recalling how she'd often see her older friend in the church nursery holding two or three children on her lap. And Miranda "could do anything," Annette Shaw said. "She talked so well for a 3-year-old. I was hoping Katie would learn from her." Annette Shaw said her friend Rita once confided that she didn't expect to have another child because she didn't think she could love another one as much as she loved the precocious Miranda. "You can't make sense out of everything that happens," Annette Shaw said. "You try not to be angry." There will be a joint funeral for the Standifords at 11 a.m. Wednesday at their church, with burial in Walnut Hill Cemetery in Borden. Visitation will be at Garr Funeral Home in Sellersburg from 5 to 9 p.m. today and noon to 9 p.m. tomorrow, and at the church after 9 a.m. Wednesday. Memorial gifts may go to the church building fund. Edith Standiford's survivors include a son, David Standiford of Georgetown; two daughters, Virginia Dickerson of Clarksville and Ramona McCutcheon of Borden; two sisters, Margaret Pfister of Jeffersonville and Elsie Standiford of Borden; nine grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren. Timothy Standiford was a member of the 425th Quartermaster Company, U.S. Army Reserve, in Jeffersonville and of the board of regents of Liberty University. Miranda Fay Standiford's survivors besides her mother include grandparents, Minie and Marlin Kimball of Shepherdsville, Ky.

Back to Top

From: The New York Times; June 4, 1952
*Contributed by Blaine Standiford


Designer of Bridges, Refineries and Power Plants During 42-Career in Dead.

Harry R. Standiford, an engineer and structural designer for forty two years, died on Sunday in St. Vincentís Hospital after a brief illness at the age of 65.  He had made his home at the Shelton Hotel, Forty-ninth street and Lexington Avenue.

Mr. Standiford received his civil engineering degree at Cornell University in 1910.  A licensed engineer, he was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers.

From 1910 to 1915, he designed structural steel bridges and power plants for the American Brikdge Company of New York, after which he spent three years with the Sperry Engineering Company of New Haven, Conn.  Mr. Standiford was construction supervisor for the J. G. White Corporation from 1918 to 1921, when he built steam power plants for Pennsylvania State College and the National Spun Sil Company at New Bedford, Mass.

He supervised, also the construction of a sulphur recovery plant for the Texas-Gulf Sulphur Company at Madagora, Tex., and a municipal water supply system for the Latrobe (Pa.) Water Company.

From 1921 to 1932 he was associated with the William F. Kenny Company as assistant chief engineer.  He designed and built steam power plants and substations for the United Electric Light and Power Company.  He was plant manager for the next nine years for the New Jersey Clay Products Company.

Mr. Standiford returned to the J. G. White Corporation in 1941 as a project manager.  He built a power and steam plant for the Aluminum Ore Company at Mobile, Navy Yard in Brooklyn.  Among his other projects were a turbine and radio manufacturing plant for the General Electric Company at Syracuse, N. Y., and a gasoline refinery for the Eastern States Petroleum Company of Houston, Tex.

At his death, he was preparing to install another gasoline refinery in Houston for the Sinclair Refining Company.

He is survived by a son, Donald Standiford, who is with the Army in Germany.

Back to Top

From: The New York Times, October 14, 1943
*Contributed by Blaine Standiford

Frank B. Standiford

Civil Engineer Here was Naval Officer in First World Ward 

Frank B. Standiford, a civil engineer with E. B. Badgr &I Sons Company, 500 Fifth Avenue, died yesterday in the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center after a short illness.  He was born in Louisville, KY., fifty-seven years ago.  His home was in Tudor City.

Mr. Standiford was graduated from Purdue University in 1904.  He served the Alaskan Railroad as a reconnaissance engineer, was a lieutenant commander in the Navy during the First World War and had been an executive of the Pennsylvania Power and Light Company in Allentown.

During the construction of a TNT plant at Sandusky, Ohio, Mr. Standiford was project engineer for the Trojan Powder Company.  He had been with the Badger engineering firm for two years.  He was a Mason and a member of Phil Gamma Delta fraternity.

Mr. Standiford leaves a widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Rice Standiford and a daughter, Mrs. Harold Nelson of Syracuse, N. Y.

Back to Top

Newspaper source not known. 
Contributed by Jean McCamly.

Mrs. Sarah Marissa Standiford

March 15, 1939: Mrs. Sarah Marissa Standiford was born in Battle Creek, June 9, 1865, the daughter of James and Marissa Casey.  When as a small child she was taken by Mrs. Mary Kingsbury of Athens with whom she lived until her marriage to J. Milton Standiford on Dec. 15, 1895.  She was a member of the Athens Congregational church and sang in the choir for a number of years.  Her whole life was spent in Athens and vicinity until 1928, when Mr. Standiford was fatally injured, when struck by an automobile along M-60 near their farm home, a mile west of the brick school house.  Since that time Mrs. Standiford has resided with the family of her son, Wesley, at Union City, where she died on March 15, 1939.  She had been an invalid for many years and for several days before her death had been ill with influenza and complications.  Besides the son at whose home she died, she is survived by another son, Nolan, of Norco, Ca., two daughters, Mrs. Carmen Walker of Washington, D.C., and Mrs. Dytha Gabner of Buffalo, N.Y., seven grand children and two brothers, S. Charles Casey of Detroit and R.W. Casey of Englewood, Colorado.  The funeral was held at Union City, Saturday, March 18, and burial was made in the North Sherwood cemetery, adjoining the Standiford farm on M-60.  

Back to Top

Source newspaper unknown
Contributed by Jean McCamly.

John Wesley Standiford


John Wesley Standiford, 52, died Tuesday afternoon, Feb 5, 1952, in a Battle Creek hospital, where he had been a patient since the previous Saturday.  He had been seriously ill for four days and in ill health for several years.  Mr. Standiford was born in Athens, June 27, 1893, son of J. Milton and Sarah Marissa (Casey) Standiford.  He married Miss Elmina Day of Union City, May 14, 1922.  He was a graduate of Athens high school and took part in athletics during the championship days.  The family lived in River Rouge for about 8 years when Mr. Standiford was employed by the Peerless Portland Cement Co., which moved from Union City to the Detroit area.  They returned to Union City 22 years ago and Mr. Standiford was employed for 8 years by the Clark Equipment Co. in Battle Creek, retiring last summer because of ill health.  He was a member of an artillery division in World War I, member of Union Post, No. 196, American Legion, Union City and of Athens Loge No. 220, F. and A.M.-   Surviving are the wife; two daughter, Mrs. Ole (Jean) Tundevold of Sherwood township and Edna Mae, at home; two sons, Charles, at home and John Wesley Jr., with the armed forces in California; a brother, Nolan (Cy) Standiford of California, and two sisters, Mrs. Carmen Walker of Dayton, Ohio, and Mrs. Alfred (Dytha) Gabner of Buffalo, N.Y.  Services were held at the Jenkins funeral home in Union City, Friday, with the Rev. Walter B. Crowell of the Union City Congregational Church officiating. 

Back to Top

Newspaper source not known.
Contributed by Jean McCamly.

J. Milton Standiford Fatally Injured - Struck by Automobile Near His Home Last Saturday Night - Died Sunday Morning Oct. 27, 1928 James Milton Standiford, aged 64 years, a brother of C.A.Standiford, was fatally injured a few rods east of his home on M-60 in Sherwood township, three miles southwest of Athens, Saturday night, when he was struck by a Buick car, driven by C.S.Heimback, of Big Rapids.  Both of his legs were broken, his chest was crushed and he was otherwise injured, resulting in his death at New Borgess hospital at Kalamazoo the next morning.  Pearl Rumsey, of Sherwood, whom Mr. Standiford was assisting at the time of the accident, had his right arm and leg broken, his right shoulder dislocated and a thumb broken, besides cuts in his face.  Mr. Rumsey was returning from a hunting trip and his car, a Chevrolet coupe, ran out of gasoline.  He went to the house and secured the assistance of Mr. Standiford, leaving the car in the road, with dimmers on.  Returning with some gasoline they were standing beside the left front fender putting gasoline in the vacuum tank when the Buick car, coming from the east, drove so close to the Chevrolet, which was headed west, that both men were caught between the two cars.  Both left fenders of the Chevrolet were crumpled, but the Buick had only one fender that showed the effects of the crash.  Mr. Heimbach did everything it was possible for him to do following the unfortunate accident and returned Sunday to tender any futher assistance.  Mr. Standiford is survived by his wife, Sarah Marissa Standiford; two sons, Nolan P. of Corona, Calif, and J. Wesley of Detroit; two daughters, Carmen G. Walker of Dakota and Dythia VanTuyle of Kalamazoo, one brother, Charles A. of Athens, and one sister, Mrs. D.G.Peck of Kalamazoo.  Mr. Standiford was the son of James and Sarah Standiford and was born in Parke township, St. Joseph County, Mich., Jan. 4, 1864, and came with his parents to the farm in Sherwood Township about two years later, residing within a short distance of the old home during the remainder of his life.  For many years he lived in Athens where he was connected with the old electric lighting plant and for a short time with the Athens Mill and Power Company.  The funeral was held at the residence Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. F.A.Stephens officiating.  Burial in the North Sherwood cemetery.  

Back to Top  

Newspaper source not known.
Contributed by Jean McCamly.

Charles A. Standiford.  Athens, MI-- Someone else will have to lead the village homecoming parade next summer.  Charles A. Standiford, 87, lifetime resident, justice of the peace for half a century, oldest living businessman here and perennial parade marshal, is dead.  He died at 10 p.m. yesterday in Leila Hospital, Battle Creek, only two days after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage.  He was in good health until stricken.  After a Masonic funeral Friday at 1 p.m. from the Spencer funeral home, here, he will be buried in the North Sherwood cemetery, which was opened by Mr. Standiford's father, and which was part of the farm on which Mr. Standiford was born Nov. 8, 1866.  His parents were James and Sarah Standiford.  Both Rev. John D. Perrin of the Congregational Church and Rev. Edward Klein of the Methodist church will officiate.

Mr. Standiford attended school at the now-abandoned schoolhouse at M-78 and M-60, and in Union City.  He helped his father in a furniture and undertaking business, and with him built the stone building next to the bank.  Mr. Standiford later was associated with the Athens State Bank before turning to the real estate and insurance business he conducted until he died.  He was elected justice of the peace in 1893, serving continuously except for an eight-year period as postmaster during the Wilson administration.  Mr. Standiford married the former Jennis Ferris November 18, 1891.  She died February 20, 1938.  They moved from their farm south of here into the village in 1900.  After her death, he moved into the combination office and living quarters on Main street he occupied when he became ill.  His public service included membership on the village school board and township offices.  He was a past master of Athens Lodge No. 22, F&AM, and was a member of the Moslem Temple of the Shrine in Detroit, as well as a life member of Athens RAM and Battle Creek Commandery No. 33.  He is survived by one son, Col. Ferris C. Standiford of Detroit, several cousins and three grandchildren, David, a physician and Ferris Jr., an attorney, both living in Ann Arbor, and Jane.

Back to Top

Newspaper Source Unknown
Contributed by Blaine Standiford.

STANDIFORD TO BE BURIED AT ARLINGTON.  Services for Col. William R. Standiford, Marshall County (WVA) native and prominent military officer, will take place Wednesday (25 Nov 1964) in Washinton D. C.  Interment will follow in Arlington National Cemetery.

Col. Standiford, veteran of World War I and the Spanish American conflict, died at his Washington residence.  He was 90.

He was born May 1, 1874, son of Peter and Eilen I. Dorsey Standiford, and graduated from WV University in 1897.  A one time teacher at Fairmont Normal School, he had organized the first company of WV volunteers in the Spanish American War, later serving in the Philippines.  After service in World War I he had served as commander of military tactics at Indian University, retiring from service in 1938.

His wife Minerva Bumstead Standiford, Whelling native died in 1951.  Surviving are a niece, Mrs. A. H. Routzon, Richmond, Ohio and two nephews, James and Russell Standiford of Phoenix, AZ.

Click here to view cemetery photo!

Back to Top  

Priscilla McKnight Standiford - Stucker - Ransom.  
Click here for obits and photos.

From: Unknown Newspaper
*Contributed by Blaine Standiford

C. Harold Standiford, 91, of 900 Harcourt Rd., Mount Vernon, O., died Tuesday, Nov. 14, 2000, in Knox Community Hospital at Mount Vernon following a short illness.

He was born at Marshall County, W. VA, on November 4, 1909, the son of the late Charles E. and Minnie Coffield Standiford.

Harold was a former resident of Freeport, Ohio, and a resident of Uhrichsville, Ohio, for 23 years before moving to Mount Vernon in 1988.  In Uhrichsville, he and his wife resided at 203 W. 11th St.

He retired in 1974 as branch manager of Landmark Feed Mill at Uhrichsville.  He was a member of Freeport Presbyterian Church, a World War II veteran of the United States Navy, member of the VFW Post 4017, Mount Vernon, and former member of Twin City VFW Post 9338.

On November 30, 1934, he married Dorothy E. Hamilton Standiford, who died January 10, 1985.

He is survived by one brother, E. Glenn Standiford of Moundsville, W. VA, and numerous nieces and nephews.

In addition to his parents and wife, he was preceded in death by one brother and two sisters.

Services will be held Friday, November 17, 2000 at 1 p.m. in Uhrich-Hostettler Funeral Home at Uhrichsville with Rev. Mark Unrue officiating.  Burial will follow in Greenmont Union Cemetery at Freeport where Stillwater Valley VFW Post 6815 at Freeport will conduct military graveside services.  Calling hours will be from 11 a.m. until the time of services on Friday in the funeral home.

Back to Top  

From: The Wichita Eagle
Wichita, Sedgwick Co., KS
Sunday - January 12, 2003

Standiford, Marjorie M. (Ayers), 91, of Wichita, formerly of Winfield, homemaker and former Axle and Wheel Aligning Co. Inc. co-owner, died Thursday, January 9, 2003.  Service 2 p.m. Tuesday, Asbury United Methodist Church.  Preceded in death by husband, E. L. "Tobe" Standiford; son Robert L. Standiford; father and mother, Rev. H. A. and Ethel Kuhns.  Survivors: sons and daughters-in-law, Larry and Patricia Standiford, Roger and Sharon Standiford, both of Wichita; daughter and son-in-law, Beverly and Charlie Rogers of Spring, Texas; sister Ruth Dawson of Wichita; stepbrother, Raymond Kuhns of Wichita; stepsisters, Charlotte Sink of Calif., Ruthelma Webb of Winfield; 10 grandchildren; 12 great-grandchildren.  Memorial established with Asbury United Methodist Church, 2801 W. 15th St. North, Wichita, 67203.  Hillside Funeral Home West.

Back to Top  

From: The Cameron Harold
Milan Co., TX
February 7, 1935
*Contributed by Blaine Standiford

Confederate Veteran Dies From Burns in Home Fire
J. L. Standiford, 85, Confederate Veteran died in a local hospital here, Saturday, February 2, from injuries suffered when he was trapped in the flames that destroyed his home at San Gabriel on Friday.

The aged veteran was rescued by his brother, George Standiford, who rushed into the building and found his brother in bed with his clothing aflame.  The brothers lived alone in their farm house near San Gabriel.

The home was found burning when George Standiford returned from a rural mail box a short distance away.

Deceased was rushed to Cameron for hospital treatment.  He was one of the few remaining Soldiers of the South in the war between the states, having entered the Confederate Army a youth in his teens.  He was a native of Virginia, but had lived in Milan County since 1870.

Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon with interment in Lilac cemetery.  Deceased is survived by a sister Mrs. W. M. Young of Kansas City, and brother George Standiford.

Click here to view CW pension application.

Back to Top  

Back to Main Menu  Back to Obituary Index