John Dixon Hooker, D. D.
Pub. Times, September 6, 1928
John Dixon Hooker, D. D. son of Joshua and Nancy Hooker, was born in Crawford County, Illinois, September 6th, 1857, and departed this life at his home in McLeansboro, August 29th 1928, aged 70 years, 11 months and 23 days.
He came with his parents from Crawford county at about five years of age, and located in Blooming Grove neighborhood, where he spent practically all his life, with the exception of a few years in the State of Texas, and in Jefferson county, Illinois. His father passed away when he was but a child, and for a while after coming to this county they made their home with Uncle Sloan Tedford.
He professed faith in Christ at Blooming Grove Church, February 21, 1878, and on Friday following, joined Blooming Grove Church, and was baptized by Elder H. P. Craves, on March 3rd. On August 15th, 1880 he was ordained as a minister of the gospel. The presbytery consisted of Elders H. Vise, H. P. Cravens, John b. Smith, R. G. Echols, and Leonard Bond.
His first pastorate was with Hams Grove Church in 1880, where he remained as pastor for five years. He has been pastor of many of the leading churches, which are as follows: Hams Grove, Union, Barn Hill, Walnut Grove, Opdyke, Salem, Horse Prairie, Spring Garden, Blooming Grove, Marion First, Mt. Vernon First, Kell, Bluford, Sims, Park Avenue (Mt. Vernon), Wayne City, Blue Mound, Ridgeway, Broughton, Ten Mile, Dahlgren, Macedonia, Pinckneyville, Tamaroa, Paradise, Long Prairie, Belle Rive, Hopewell, New Hope, Raleigh, Junction, New Zion, and Glendale and Groveton, Texas, Delafield, and many others.
He has held meetings at all the above named places, besides many others, consisting of meetings in ten county seats in Southern Illinois. His work was not a special appeal to what is called the higher classes of life, but to the common people especially, he has gone with a message of life.
It would be unwise to venture guess on the number of times this able preacher has spoken to the people, but the records show that he has baptized over twelve hundred (1200) that have been converted in his meetings, besides officiating at hundreds of funerals.
He has always been greatly attached to his brethren ministry, not only to those of his age, but to the younger, who are now under the work, and has always wished for them an abounding success.
He was schooled in Ewing College, where he later graduated, and still later he was honored by that institution with the Doctor of Divinity Degree.
In his early life he spent much time in teaching in the public schools, and in teaching music together with holding meetings, which much impaired his health.
He was united in marriage on August 4, 1881, with Mary E. Bond, who still survives him. To this union ten children were born, nine of whom are still living, all of which were present at the funeral, except one. Five boys, Carey Edward, John Coyle, Leonard Earl, Charles Frank, and Harry H. Hooker; five girls, Lena Ethel (deceased), Mrs. Laura E. Taylor, Mrs. R. Dorcas Hughes, Mrs. Rena A. Bowers, and Mrs. Edna E. Lowery.
His companion was very devoted to him, and during their life on the farm, she has endured many hardships that this man of God might be able to leave his home and preach to others.
During his active life in the ministry there were none in this section of the country more able than he, always being in demand on special occasions, and at associational meetings, and he was recognized as one of the leading orators.
He leaves to mourn, besides the above named wife and children, eighteen grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. Mary E. Maulding; the only one of the family to survive, and many relatives and a host of friends in various sections of the country.
The life of Brother Hooker has been brought to a successful close following the observance by Blooming Grove Church, where he first became a member and where he remained a member of the celebration of his fiftieth anniversary of his ministry, on August 19th 1928.
Funeral services were held at Blooming Grove, August 31, conducted by John B. Maulding and Elder L. Tucker assisted by Blooming Grove Choir and a special quartet. The choir and quartet both sang beautiful. There were seventeen preachers present.
Interment in Blooming Grove Cemetery under the auspices of the Masonic Lodge of which he was a member.
Back to Hamilton CountyBack to Obituaries