Marion D. Dale

Pub.: Times, October 11, 1928

Marion D. Dale, eldest son of John H. and Nancy McLean Dale, was born January 8, 1850; died at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital at Danville, Ill., October 3rd, 1928, from the infirmities of age.

He was married to Amanda Edington Dale October 3, 1875, at Ten Mile Church, at which church he dedicated his life to God in his early manhood, and where he retained his membership until his death.

To this union were born four children: Omer E. of Connerville, Ind.; Harry W., of Chicago Heights, Ill.; Ernest A., of Danville, Ill.; and Mrs. Ada Weltner of St. Louis, Mo., all of whom survive.  Two grandchildren, Lillian, daughter of Omer, and Dale, son of Mrs. Ada Weltner, also survive.

Mr. Dale was the oldest of a family of seven children, including six brothers and one sister; John Wilburn, who preceded him in death only a short time ago; Fannie Mangis, who lives on the old home place near Ten Mile Church; Robert M., and Emory T., of McLeansboro; James R. of Centralia, Ill.; and Charles A. of Eldorado, Ill.

He received his early education at Anderson School, and later walked to Hoodville to attend the school taught by Professor Turrentine.  After this, he taught school at his home and in surrounding districts.

He then entered Northwestern University at Chicago for the study of medicine.  From this school, he graduated in 1874, in the same class with the late Dr. Wilford Hall, and between whom there always existed the warmest personal and professional friendship.

After his graduation, Dr. Dale became associated in practice with Dr. DeFoe, one of Southern Illinois’ most famous physicians and surgeons.  These were the most strenuous years of his life, as he traveled on horseback and was frequently called fifty miles to do surgical work.

Some eight or ten years ago, he suffered a slight paralytic stroke, from which he never fully recovered, and which incapacitated him from his beloved work.  This was a great trial to him, for his unconquerable spirit could not be reconciled to his enfeebled physical condition.

His great love for his profession was shown by the education of his three boys along his line of work.  All taking up his work and all showing the same perseverance and determination of their father, have steadily advanced and are rapidly climbing to the top of the ladder in their profession.  This was a great joy to the Doctor and his beloved companion, for no task was too hard, no sacrifice too great to give his children the best in life.  His only daughter, Mrs. Ada Weltner, and his greatest comfort in his declining years, is a musician of no mean ability.

Four years ago, he celebrated the 50th anniversary of his practice of medicine.  Soon after this, his wife died, and from this blow he never recovered, but began a gradual decline until death came as a blessed relief to the pain-racked body.

Thus lived and died one of the country’s most useful men, who gave his manhood for suffering humanity, and the best years of his life to perpetuate his beloved work in the lives of his children.

Funeral services were conduced by Rev. John B. Maulding at the First Baptist Church Friday afternoon, October 5, at 2:00 o’clock.  Interment took place in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.

Back to Hamilton CountyBack to Obituaries