The Old McLeansboro Cemetery
WHEN A CEMETERY BLOCKS THE TRAFFIC on a street it seems most unusual. However, this happened in McLeansboro. The streets bordering the original town of McLeansborough (sp), were, and are narrow--just thirty three feet in width. These narrow borders streets, like those in other old towns, are historically significant. In McLeansboro, one part of Northern Border is particularly so.
A part of the same act authorizing the planting of stones establishing permanent corners, and for making future surveys in McLeansboro, approved February 15, 1855, has a section relative to our old cemetery. SECTION 3of that act is transcribed as follows:
Subsequent to the passage of the above mentioned act, the town trustees evidently did make an order as provided for in the act, for a cemetery was established and located across Northern Border Street. This old cemetery also included parts of lots one and two of the original town and other adjoining land.
On the third ay of February, 1860, Samuel S. Marshall, Daniel Marshall and Charles H. Heard, conveyed and dedicated a parcel of ground, as a burying ground for the use of the citizens of McLeansboro. This parcel of land for a cemetery was conveyed "in conformity with the provisions of the statutes in such case provided" to the County of Hamilton, in trust for the purpose aforesaid.
For measuring its meets and bounds, the starting point was reached by measuring thirty feet south from the northwest corn of lot number two of the original plat of the town of McLeansboro, thence east one hundred feet thereby reaching the southwest corner of the burying ground. The cemetery was a block of land 198 feet east and west by 165 feet north and south.
Evidently, this plot, or a part of it, was being used for a burial ground long before the deed was executed conveying it to Hamilton County--and, before the State Legislature passed the act vacating part of Northern Border Street for that purpose. Dates inscribed on the headstones show this.
Today, 1974, there are but few headstones remaining in the old cemetery marking the burial sites of early pioneer citizens. One of them stands like a sentinel near the center of the burial ground and has the following inscription: "Sarah, wife of J. H. Blacker, died August 10, 1863, aged 70 yrs., 7 mos., 8 dys."
Sarah Blacker was the daughter of pioneers John and Mary (Duff) Moore, who are buried in the Ten Mile Cemetery. Sarah was first married to Charles McDonald Heard, and is the mother of Charles Harvey, James Mulhiron, John Henry, and Elizabeth Heard. Charles M. Heard, a Pvt. in Captain Cantrill's Company, Tenn. Vol., War of 1812, died and was buried on his farm in Flannigan Township.
Sarah Moore Heard, married second to James Allen and two of their children were Joseph and Marium. Mr. Allen died in 1846 and Sarah then married John H. Blacker, a native of Dublin, Ireland. Thus the Sarah Blacker monument. Heard family history states that Sarah (Moore) Blacker was interred in the Odd Fellows Cemetery.
By correlating old listings of headstone inscriptions with more recent ones, and combining them with data from other sources, we have a list, although incomplete, of burials in the old cemetery. The list of names follows:
wife of James Mullen (Mullin), died February 1, 1847
William, son of J. C. and C. W. Mullen, died August 21, 1847
John W. Barnett, born May 15, 1790, died September 25, 1852
Shoemaker, died April 1835
INFANT SON of C. H. and I. Heard, died February 27, 1837
wife of J. H. Blacker, died August 10, 1863
E. West, died May 10, 1863
P. Frye, died 1865
Gooden, died July 20, 1868
In Memory of
F. Sharp, died November 10, 1848
Howell Heard, born March 15, 1845, died December 10, 1849
C. Barnett, died November 30, 1851,
Sarah, d/o C. H. and I. (?) Heard, died September 7, 1848
Emmerson, died February 13, 1850
Woodruff, died March 26, 1855
Shain, died October 22, 1856
Wheeler, Sr., died March 4, 1860,
James M. Heard, born April 8, 1810, died March 7, 1871
Heard, died August 24, 1884
Hulda Tate, w/o O. A. Tate, died April 1, 1858
J. J. Ritchey, born November 6, 1822, died February 1875
Willie Howard, died October 10, 1865
Wife of James Kinnear
W. O. Tate, died April 1, 1858
W., w/o J. W. Henson, died July 16, 1860
W. Williams, died August 16, 1860
d/o W. J. and A. A. Dobyns, died April 13, 1860
From: Goshen Trail's, Vol. 12, No.
2, April, 1976
Back to Hamilton CountyBack to Cemetery Lists