by Harry A. Parkhill
This article shall be in two parts. The first part shall consist of information of John Parkhill and his sixteen children. The second part will consist of information of the second generation. However, before I start this article, I wish to say I have collected information since 1941 from various sources such as relatives, County Clerks, libraries and newspaper articles.
On March 27, 1873, John married Mary Woodruff Helms born March 10, 1845. There were 3 children born to this union. Mary died November 28, 1896 and is buried in Richardson Hill Cemetery.
John died December 27, 1891 and with his first wife Martha, is buried in the Middle Creek Cemetery.
Elizabeth Jane b. July 21,
1841, d. December 19, 1893. Married
Theopilas Jones b. 1832 d. March 30, 1892.
He was the son of William and Nancy Greehill (Denton) Jones.
Buried in Hopewell Cemetery.
2. James b. 1843 d. January 28, 1865 in Buford, SC of wounds received in the Civil War.
3. Henry b. 1845 d. March 11, 1885. Married Mary Jane McAfoose b. March 15, 1847 d. January 3, 1876. Daughter of John and Elizabeth McAfoose. Both buried in the Middle Creek Cemetery. Henry served in the Civil War from Guernsey County, Ohio.
4. Mary Ann b. April 22, 1847 d. March 9, 1923. Married Benjamin Franklin Johnson b. April 23, 1834 d. February 8, 1919. Son of Benjamin and Polly (Almond) Johnson. Both buried in the Old Union Cemetery near Poseyville, Indiana. Benjamin Franklin served in the Civil War from Indiana.
5. Sarah b. 1849 d. July 21, 1929. Never married. Buried in the IOOF Cemetery, Dahlgren, Illinois.
6. John b. 1851 d. September 1852 in Guernsey County, Ohio.
7. Alonzo b. 1853 d. 1898 in Carter County, Missouri. Married Julia Holley b. 1857 d. September 1920. Alonzo is buried in the Glass Cemetery and Julia is buried in the Bristol Cemetery near Barron, Misouri. Julia is the daughter of John and Martha (Farmer) Holly. She was married twice after the death of Alonzo, first to Walter Gasnell and second to N. G. Wallace.
8. William Vincent b. January 20, 1854 d. March 17, 1929. Married Anna Lewey b. July 28, 1865 d. December 26, 1939. The daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth Lewey. Both are buried at Hillsboro, Illinois I Montgomery County. He practiced medicine in that area.
9. Maggie Catherine, known as Aunt Kate, b. March 6, 1857 d. July 22, 1941. Buried IOOF Cemetery Dahlgren, Illinois. Married George Monroe Mitchell b. 1846 d. 1895 in Eldorado, Illinois. Parent unknown. Served in the Civil War from Gibson County, Indiana.
10. Eva Estelle b. March 25, 1859 d. April 3, 1938 Married Marion Francis Cross b. July 14, 1854 d. January 13, 1932. Parents were John Calvin and Nancy Jane (Burton) Cross. Both are buried in Arkansas.
11. Ida Mae b. July 22 1862 d. February 13, 1936. Married John Franklin Underwood b. April 23, 1858 d. July 21, 1932. Parents John Calvin and Fatima (Jines) Underwood. Both buried in the IOOF Cemetery Dahlgren, Illinois.
Isabel Irene b. May 15, 1864
d. February 13, 1936. Married
Daniel Morgan Tolley b. 1861 d. March 14, 1948.
Parents, Vincent and Martha (Upton) Tolley.
Both are buried in the Blooming Grove Cemetery.
13. William b. April 13, 1867 d. June 6, 1925. Married Elizabeth Anna Cooper b. March 9, 1869 d. May 6, 1916. Parents, John Joseph and Cecila Ann (Baxter) Cooper. Buried in the IOOF Cemetery, Dahlgren, Illinois
Children of John and Mary (Helms) Parkhill:
1. Edith Amanda b. August 12, 1874 d. December 24, 1940. Married John Logan Tolley b. February 9, 1862 d. April 1950. Parents, John Logan and Nancy (Upton) Tolley. Buried in the IOOF Cemetery, Dahlgren, Illinois.
2. George Anderson b. July 22, 1876 d. April 14, 1910 in Pineville, Anderson County, Missouri where he is buried. Married Belle Roush b. February 19, 1881 d. June 17, 1964 in Armona, California, buried in Grangeville Cemetery.
Beatrice dates unknown.
Buried in the Middle Creek Cemetery next to her father.
From: Goshen Trails; Oct. 1967; Vol. 3 -
Reprinted by permission
Back to Hamilton County Back to Hamilton County Families