O. Lane, M.D.
Charles O. Lane, M. D. A
native of Southern Illinois, member of pioneer families of this section
of the state, Doctor Lane made the resolution when a youth to become a
physician, and in attaining to the qualifications for such a career he
made many sacrifices and labored earnestly, supporting a family before
he had graduated. For some
years he has been on of the very busy men in his profession at West
Frankfort, Franklin County.
He was born on his fatherís farm in the Eastern part of Hamilton
County, Illinois, June 26, 1876. His
grandfather, John Lane, came from Tennessee and took up a tract of
government land in Hamilton County, making a farm and occupying it until
his death. George
Washington Lane, father of Doctor Lane, was born at that old homestead
in Hamilton County in 1846. He
was a farmer, but was also widely known over the county as a teacher,
having taught for many years in different districts.
He died in 1893. George W. Lane married Sarah E. Echols, daughter of Lofton
Echols, who came to Illinois from Tennessee, and was a pioneer of
Charles O. Lane had the working discipline of a farm during his boyhood.
He attended country schools to the age of seventeen, and after
that in order to carry out his plans he taught school in winter and
worked on the farm during the summer until 1902, in which year he
entered the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons.
In the meantime, in 1901, he had married Miss Nora Weston, of Benton,
Franklin County. His work
in medical college was not continuous, as he had to leave school for one
year and work in order to secure funds.
However, he graduated with honors in 19078 and at once engaged in
practice at Belle Prairie in Hamilton county.
From there in 1914 he removed to West Frankfort, where he has a
large business and a general practice.
He is a member of the Franklin County, Southern Illinois,
Illinois State and American Medical Associations.
Doctor Lane is affiliated with the Masonic order, having taken several of the degrees and orders, and is a member of the Mystic Shrine. He belongs to the B. P. O. Elks, Modern Woodmen of America and Rotary Club, the Franklin County Country Club and the Missionary Baptist Church. He and Mrs. Lane have an adopted daughter, Margarette.
Back to Hamilton County Back to Hamilton County Biographies