The Founding Pioneers
Compiled by Ralph S. Harrelson for Illinois Magazine, February 1978

Brief Portraits of early pioneers who were in Hamilton County prior to 1821.

Allen, Enos Anderson, John Atchisson, Joseph  Auxier, Abraham
Braden, Jacob Carpenter, Chester Crouch, Adam Dale, John
Flint, John Griswold, Gilbert Hall, John Heard, Charles
Hogg, William Hood, Benjamin Hungate, William Johnson, Robert
Lane, James Lockwood, Jesse Maulding, Ambrose Maulding, Ennis
Mayberry, Fredrick McKenzie, George McLean, William Mitchell, Ichabod
Moore, Jeremiah Moore, John Proctor, Little Page Rathbone, Lorenzo
Shelton, Joseph Sloo, Thomas, Jr. Standerfer, Job Stelle, Thompson, Sr.
Tarlton, Townsend Wheeler, William    

Enos T. Allen: Was present at the founding of the county and was appointed magistrate in 1821.  He was a justice of the peace and one of the early county commissioners.  Mr. Allen served as county surveyor from 1827 into 1847.

John Anderson:  Came from Kentucky to this vicinity about 1818.  He settled near the present spillway of the city lake.  His house served as the Seat of Justice for Hamilton County during formation and until a court building was erected in McLeansboro.  Mr. Anderson, born May 10, 1780 in Virginia, married Mourning Maulding, daughter of Ambrose Maulding.  John and Mourning Anderson were buried in the Rathbone cemetery south of McLeansboro.

Joseph T. Atchisson: Was born in Port Tobacco, Md.  He settled in present Hamilton County about 1819.  He was married to Margaret W. Hopper of Jefferson County, Illinois.  Mr. Atchison served in the War of 1812.  He lived about seven miles west of McLeansboro.  He was a merchant.  Some of the descendants use a singe “s” in spelling the name.

 Back to Top

Abraham M. Auxier: Was one of the very early pioneers of this area.  He settled northwest of present McLeansboro, near Auxier Creek before 1816.  The creek and Auxier’s Prairie was named for him.  His descendants still live in the county. [See the Bio. of Benjamin F. Auxier, son of Abraham.  Must check this out: The Incident in Illinois- Abraham Auxier.  click here!! ]

Jacob Braden: Came to the Hamilton County area with his father’s family about 1818.  He married Nancy Johnson.  They lived in the area north of present Walpole, but later removed to near Braden.  Jacob and Nancy were the parents of eleven children, one of them the well-known Uncle Alfred Braden, who was born in 1820 in this county.

Chester Carpenter: Was an “Old School” Baptist preacher.  He was one of the three ministers making up the presbytery in the constitution of Ten Mile Creek Baptist church in 1820.  Elder Carpenter also helped to organize many other Baptist churches in this and adjoining counties.  He presided as moderator for the Muddy River, Association a number of years in its early existence.  Carpenter’s son, Milton, also a Baptist minister, became Treasurer of the State of Illinois.  There is a headstone for Chester Carpenter in the Odd Fellows Cemetery at McLeansboro.   Chester Carpenter, Jr., was his grandson.

 Back to Top

Adam Crouch: Was a native of Virginia, and came to this county area about 1816.  Mr. Crouch served as one of the county commissioners.  He lived north of McLeansboro, near the Crouch road, and the road and township where he lived took his name.

John Dale: Settled in the Hamilton County area about 1816.  He was first married to Elizabeth Shirley and second to Nancy Hall.  He was a farmer and mechanic, and built the first cotton gin and some of the first mills in the state of Illinois.  He lived in the vicinity to Ten Mile church.

John Flint:  Married Nancy, daughter of William and Sally (Coffman) Hungate, while still a part of White County.  This Flint family lived beside the Goshen Road south of the Knights Prairie church, and it is reported they operated a travelers inn.  The descendants of John and Nancy Flint are traced through a number of well-known pioneer families.  They, with some of their children and many of their descendants are buried in the old cemetery at Knights Prairie.

 Back to Top

Gilbert Griswold: Was one of the early pioneers in the Walpole area.  He entered land in 1818 where Walpole was later platted.  He operated a Travelers Inn on the Goshen Road immediately north of present Walpole.  The Griswold Post Office was established there in 1832, and evidently named for Gilbert Griswold.

John Hall: Born 1799 in Union County, Kentucky.  Settled in this area about 181.  In 1824 he married Nancy Shirley.  This family lived beside the Goshen Road southeast of the old Reed school and Hall was the chief promoter of that school, some of his children teaching there.  Mr. Hall ran a grist mill and blacksmith shop which stood across the road from his dwelling.  John and Nancy were the parents of Col. H. W. Hall.  They are buried in the Ten Mile cemetery, Hamilton County.

Charles McDonald Heard: Son of Charles and Jennie (Logan) Heard, settled in present Flannigan Township about 1816.  His wife was Sarah Moore, daughter of John and Mary (Duff) Moore.  Mr. Heard was a soldier in the War of 1812, Tennessee Volunteers.  He died quite young and was buried on his farm in Flannigan Township.  His widow later married James Allen, and after Mr. Allen’s death, married John H. Blacker.

 Back to Top

William Hogg: We give pioneer William Bryant’s sketch for this subject.  “The first settlement made in Hamilton County was…that made by William Hogg.  This gentleman was the father-in-law of Mr. John Townsend and the grandfather of the wife of Mr. John Hayse now living near McLeansboro.  The settlement was at the place where Sam Mann now lives.”  This put the Hogg Settlement between Smith cemetery and Dale, Illinois.  Hogg Creek was given this family name.

Benjamin Hood: Son of Dempsey and Charity (Hill) Hood who settled in Jefferson County, was married to Nancy, daughter of John and Polly Daily of this county.  He was a carpenter and built one of the early log courthouses and a number of dwellings in McLeansboro.  He served as sheriff and county commissioner of this county.  Benjamin and Nancy lived in early McLeansboro and later on their farm northwest of the town.

William Hungate: Of English ancestry, removed to the Hamilton County area in 1817.  His wife was the former Sally Coffman.  The Hungates lived in the area west of present McLeansboro.  Their children married into other pioneer families of the Knights Prairie area.  The descendants of William and Sally Hungate are quite numerous.

Robert Johnson: Son of John Johnson, a Revolutionary soldier, came to the Hamilton County area about 1819.  He wife was the former Elizabeth Lewis, whom he married in Kentucky.  This Johnson family pioneered in present Flannigan Township.  They were members of the Regular Baptist church, and were interred in the Little Spring cemetery.

 Back to Top

James Lane: Was born in North Carolina.  He came to this area in 1818, settling about three miles east of present McLeansboro.  In the first election in Hamilton County, April 2, 1821, Lane was elected coroner.  He also served several terms as county commissioner.  His wife was the former Mary Phipps and they were the parents of Judge James Lane of this county.  James Lane, Sr., died in 1846.

Jesse C. Lockwood:  Was born in Poundridge, New York, the son of Joseph and Mary (Drake) Lockwood.  He came to this area about 1818.  He held five principal county offices at the founding of Hamilton County in 1821.  Mr. Lockwood was also a merchant and at one time held the office as postmaster in McLeansboro.  He died in 1847.  Mr. Lockwood, his wife Elsey (Elsie), and some of his children at time of their decease were interred in a family cemetery located immediately south of Meadow Hills addition to McLeansboro.

Ambrose Maulding: Came to this area about 1815, settling on Hogg Prairie in section 13, west of present McLeansboro, and north of Ten Mile Church.  Mr. Maulding, a Revolutionary soldier, was a judge in Kentucky before coming to Illinois.  After coming to Illinois he was a justice of the peace in White County, and helped to select the seat of justice for Jefferson County.  He died in 1833, and is buried in the Ten Mile Church cemetery, where a Memorial was erected by his descendants.

 Back to Top

Ennis Maulding:  A son of Ambrose, settled west of present McLeansboro.  Ennis Maulding served as supervisor on some of the early trails, such as the Carmi-Kaskaskia, that coursed through this county.  He represented this county in the State Senate 1830-1834.  Ennis later removed to Wayne County, Illinois where he built a mill on the Skillet Fork, north of present Wayne City.  The place was on early maps designated as Maulding’s Mill.

Frederick Mayberry: Was born in Virginia, son of Frederick and Barbara (Nalls) Mayberry.  He married Priscilla Yokum and removed to present Mayberry Township area before 1818.  He was a Revolutionary soldier.  In 1821, he and Daniel Powell were appointed “fence viewers” by the county commissioners.  Mayberry township was named for him.  He and Priscilla are at rest in Big Hill cemetery.

George McKenzie: Was born 1771 in Canada.  He came to the area of Mayberry Township from Tennessee about 1819, where he died in 1836.  His second wife was Betsy Ann Vickers.  Mr. McKenzie was a justice of the peace in White County, and for a number of years in this county.  He was a judge in some of the early elections – one as early as 1821 in this county.

 Back to Top

Dr. William Byars McLean:  Dr. McLean was born in North Carolina in 1791.  His wife was Margaret McKinney.  McLean gave as his address Christian County, Kentucky when making a patent application for land he entered in 1818, a part of which became McLeansborough, named for the doctor.  He was the son of Rev. Ephraim McLean, and grandson of Col. Charles McLean.  Doctor McLean removed to Randolph County, Missouri about 1830.  He later sold the remainder of his quarter section on which McLeansboro was located to Daniel Marshall and Charles H. Heard.

Ichabod Mitchell: Was born in Halifax County, Va., February 17, 1790, and came from Tennessee to the Hamilton County area in 1818.  Mr. Mitchell lived east of the Hopewell Baptist church, which he helped to found.  He was married to Mary Lane, daughter of Isaac Lane.  Ichabod served in the War of 1812 and was wounded at New Orleans.  He was one of the first justices of the peace for this county and officiated at the first four weddings here.  He also served as a county commissioner.

Jeremiah Moore: Lived in the area southwest of Ten Mile church.  The Ten Mile church was organized in his home.  August 10, 1819, Mr. Moore entered from the government the NE1/4 of SW1/4 of section 24, T.% - R.%.  This land is about one-half mile from Ten Mile church. [From Sheila Smith Cadwalader: Jeremiah Moore was from Laurens Co., SC.  He traveled to IL (via Barron Co., KY) with his children and son-in-law Joe Page, husband of Rebecca Moore.]

 Back to Top

John Moore: Was a descendant of the distinguished colonial Moore family of South Carolina.  He, with his wife Mary (Duff) Moore came to the Hamilton County area with the Heards about 1816.  Many persons now in Hamilton County are descendants of John and Nancy Moore.  John Moore lived southwest of Ten Mile church and he and his wife are at rest in the cemetery there.

Little Page Proctor:  Was elected one of the first county commissioners of Hamilton County in 1821.  He was a soldier of the Revolution, and War of 1812.  Mr. Proctor settled east of present McLeansboro about 1817.  He was also a Methodist minister and was associated with the Concord M. E. church, evidently the oldest Methodist church in the county.  Proctor was buried in that church cemetery.

Lorenzo Rathbone:  Was one of the early surveyors of this county, a medical doctor and Presbyterian minister.  He was also the county’s third school commissioner.  Mr. Rathbone married Permelia, daughter of John and Mourning (Maulding) Anderson.  The Rathbones lived about one mile south of McLeansboro, beside the old McLeansboro-Golconda road.  They are at rest in the family cemetery that was laid out on their farm.

 Back to Top

Joseph Shelton: Arrived with his wife in the area of present Dahlgren about 1820, settling northeast of the present village.  Mr. Shelton was a soldier in the War of 1812 and Black Hawk War.  He was interred in a cemetery on the family farm.

Thomas Sloo, Jr.: Was this county’s first surveyor.  In 1821 he surveyed the site of the original county seat, McLeansborough.  He owned lots in the original town and many other tracts of land in the county.  Sloo represented Hamilton County in the State Senate 1822-1826.  One source says that Thomas Sloo, Jr. was born 1790 in Kentucky and died January 17, 1879 in New Orleans, Louisiana.  Another Thomas Sloo served as registrar at the Land Office in Shawneetown, who according to his letter in Territorial Papers was born in New York, city and state.  Was he Thomas Sloo, Jr.’s father?

Job Standerfer: Was the son of Arch (Archibald) Standerfer, and settled in this area in 1816.  He married May Daily, daughter of pioneer John Daily.  The Standerfers settled northwest of present McLeansboro.  Mr. Standerfer held a number of county offices including that of associate justice of the county court.  He and his wife were members of the Ten Mile church where Job served as assistant clerk at one time.  Later they became charter members of Blooming Grove church.

 Back to Top

Thompson Stelle, Sr.: Was a native of New Jersey, and settled in the Knights Prairie area about 1816, later settling on the old Ennis Maulding farm west of McLeansboro.  His grandson, by the same name became a well-known lawyer in this county.  There is a memorial headstone in the Ten Mile cemetery,

Townsend Tarlton: Was a member of the first county commissioners’ court of this county, elected in 1821.  It is reported that he called the county commissioners together for the first meeting, April 9, 1821.  He is also credited with building the first log county building on the northwest corner of the public square, and in which building the commissioners’ court met in June 1821.

William Wheeler, Sr.: Was one of the first county commissioners elected in 1821.  Mr. Wheeler settled in the area of the present Concord church about 1817.  Wheeler Creek was named for this family.  William Wheeler, it is written, was a half-brother of Abner Pierce who came here at the same time.

 Back to Top

Copyright 1999.  All rights Reserved


Back to Hamilton County  Back to Hamilton County Biographies